Daniel is at the age where he wants to feed himself but 1) doesn’t want to use a spoon, but 2) doesn’t want to have his hands all goopy. (It’s really kind of funny how he starts to fling his hands around, trying to get the food off of them, but it’s frustrating as well.) So trying to find relatively “dry” finger foods that are nutritious have been an adventure sometimes.
Here are some foods that have been keepers
1. Morningstar Farms Veggie Bites Spinach Artichoke — the most he eats is two “nuggets” at a time, cut into toddler finger-food pieces. HE LOVES THESE THINGS.
2. Any kind of waffle, also cut up into toddler-size pieces. To save time, I buy the store-brand frozen buttermilk or homestyle waffles. Carbs, protein, and vitamins and minerals, yo! But I just recently found this recipe for sweet potato waffles. Vitamin A-laden waffles, yo! I’m also hoping to adapt this recipe for baby cereal pancakes for the waffle iron (Daniel much prefers waffles over pancakes).
3. Fig Newtons, although the store-brand kinds will do.
4. Gerber Graduates Lil’ Crunchies Veggie Dip flavor. Okay, not so nutritious, but they’re better than cheesy poofs!
5. Goldfish crackers — the afternoon snack of choice at his daycare.
6. Cheerios dry cereal — the morning snack of choice at his daycare.
He still loves YoBaby Plus Fruit and Cereal so much that he’ll let me spoon-feed him a container of the stuff with no problem. I also started giving him Mott’s Applesauce Plus Calcium and Vitamin C (good thing, since he loves applesauce, thanks to his daycare). Depending on his mood and appetite, he’ll either gobble up scrambled eggs and battered fish fillets — or reject them wholeheartedly. Same goes for mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, and bananas.
Ah, to have those days when the only complicated things on the menu were mom-milk or the kind of formula that will be right for the baby (half Enfamil Lipil regular and half Enfamil Lipi AR to deal with Daniel the Infant’s “spitting up” tendencie) — those were simpler times!
But I wouldn’t trade Daniel the Finicky Eater Toddler for anything. 🙂