Sorry for the radio silence, folks — I’ve been building my one of three online classes, basing it on my Comp I syllabus.
I taught my first online class the previous spring semester, and I learned a few things: 1) Just because a student is in an online class, he/she doesn’t necessarily know how to use online and/or wordprocessing tools. In many cases, he/she is taking an online class solely because of work schedule conflicts or (these days) the price of gas to commute to the campus, and 2) students emailing me their work tends to get lost in the other work email (exponentially a huge amount) that I get.
So this time around, I created lots of easily-accessed “How-to” documents and created forums on the Discussion Board for students to submit their work. I got positive feedback from the previous class — I’m hoping (with these changes) to continue to receive positive feedback.
Still much work to do, even though — technically — I’m on my summer break. Trying to design good online curriculum — following the Quality Matters rubric that the Hubby introduced to me a few months back — consumes a lot of time!